Super Noob + Tasty Tuesday

Tasty Tuesday- Soup Style

Tasty Tuesday is all about making your life easier, and well...tastier! This week I am bringing in reinforcements. The ever talented and oh so lovely Julie of the Peanut Gallery...exit here is sharing a recipe this week. What a pal, huh? Really though, she is a pal, and I just love her to pieces. Thanks, Julie! Without further nonsense (bet ya thought I'd say "ado")...

Well, after that intro, I feel like I must live up to the dear Mamma's expectations. I do have some talent...but it ain't so in the area of food preparation. But, if I may brag just a bit..I do have some pretty tasty recipes. When I say "some", I mean about 4!! Yep...that's about all your gonna squeeze out of the lady from the Peanut Gallery. I don't like to cook, and baking...well let's not even go there. While cookies are my favorite thing...mine always turn out like mini cakes, or worse. So if you ever want to become instant friends with me, just bake me some cookies! All this being said...don't run away just yet!

Today is your lucky day. This is the day when I share one of my "good" recipes. I use the term "my" loosely, because it is not really mine. My first grade teacher had a daughter who was my age. Here name was Paige. We were good buds back in the day. However, we lost touch over the years.

Enter Facebook!!

We were re-united last year. And unbeknownst to me...Paige has blossomed into an absolute guru in the kitchen. Her facebook updates often describe some mouthwatering delicacy that she is preparing, consuming, or sharing with friends. This is one of her soup recipes.

Yes, I am well aware that we are not in "soup season". However, if you live in the schizophrenic Northwest...then you very well could be having soup like weather. If not..then just tuck this baby away for a rainy day. You won't be sorry!! As an added bonus, because I'm concerned about your health, this is a very healthy soup. Not to mention the musicality of beans!
*******************************************************
Paige's White Bean Chicken and Spinach Soup

soup

2 slices of bacon, chopped

1 lb. Ground chicken OR Turkey Sausage (I wouldn't use the Turkey sausage if I were you!)

1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (only if you use the ground chicken...not needed if you use the turkey sausage because fennel is already in sausage. I prefer the ground chicken though)

1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (or to taste)

3+/- Garlic Cloves, grated on micro-plane (my preference) or diced

2 Cans White Beans with juice (Great Northern Beans or Cannellini Beans)

2 Quarts Chicken Stock

2 cups Spiral or Elbow Pasta (I use Barilla's multi-grain pasta...very good and good for you!)

Fresh Baby Spinach- About 4 handfuls of chopped

Brown bacon then add ground chicken with fennel seeds (or turkey sausage), garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add beans, undrained, and chicken stock. Simmer for as little 5 minutes or up to 45 minutes. Add pasta and spinach and simmer 8-10 minutes more. Make sure and remove from heat when pasta is done or noodles will get really mushy.

***Most important step: Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and crusty multi-grain bread. Good for the soul!!!

***I second Paige's thoughts on using ground chicken. I've tried it with ground chicken, ground turkey, turkey sausage, and just plain chicken breast. The ground chicken is BEST...hands down!

soup2

Here's a little trick if your kids don't like beans...mash up one can. Then it won't seem so "bean laden"!
Works like a charm at our house.
Our kids love this soup.
Especially served in the fine china shown above.

soup3

See, I wasn't lying.
She wouldn't have given a 2 thumbs up if she didn't absolutely LOVE this soup.
Nope, even if I bribed her with a Twix bar.
She's ALL about giving her honest opinion!

art, favorite, food, house, kids, kitchen, LIFE, love, opinion, Recipes, and more:

Tasty Tuesday- Soup Style + Tasty Tuesday