Super Noob + love

Discipline Without Distress

Ha! Says who? I have a book with the above title. Funniest joke ever. There is no discipline without distress when it comes to Addyson. Might I add that the one in distress is not always the three year old? Nope. Sometimes it’s me…the thirty four year old.

Cheeky little thing

Here’s how it usually plays out…

Addyson “Can I have a ______________?”
Me, in all my infinite wisdom deeming the requested item not necessary “No, not right now.”
Addyson “Can I have a (same item)?”
Me “I said no.”
Addyson “Can I have a (same item again…this time with panic and, yep…distress, in her voice)?”
Me, trying and failing to remain calm “No! Don’t ask again or you will sit in timeout!”

She asks again, as I knew she would. I knew when I mentioned timeout that I would, indeed, be putting her there.

So, to timeout she goes. Crying and screaming ensues. Distress. For me, for her. It’s pure insanity.

Just once I would love to say “no,” and be met with “Okay, mommy. You of course know what’s best for me, so I won’t continue to pester you until you want to pull out your hair.” Just once. Call me crazy (you wouldn’t be the first), but I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Not just once anyway.

Blog, LIFE, and more:

Discipline Without Distress + love